Tuesday, November 18, 2008

CML Learn& Play Thing Thing # 13

I did some exploring on delcious and left feeling that there are a few things that it would do for me, but not enough to set up an account. I did like the idea that it could be a shareable aggregator of links or bookmarks and can see how it would be useful in a reference role. It came up during a meeting I attended about Main divisions and basic source tarining for the system. It is neat that a division could compile their go-to websites and anyone at any location could know to go there if they run into a specialized reference question. The page that HFAR set up seemed clear, though I did find it ultimately frustrating that many of the links required an account to login. Great if I work in HFAR and there is a division login, or I've already established an account. Out in NewNorthWestside branch with a customer breathing down my neck wanting an answer while I create my own account.....not so much. I'd probably just make a call to Main like in the old days. It also seems to probably suffer from the same flaw that alot of web link aggregators and bookmark utitlites do--dead links have to be identified and purged manually.
Looking into the tagging social networking part just made me feel rather dim. I didn't readily grasp what the infromation I was seeing indicated. or how I could bend it to my advantage unlike fr'instance Library Thing. Like Bloglines I won't visit delicious again and will investigate, based on yapping with colleagues, the aggregating tools at Google.

No comments: