Friday, October 17, 2008

CML Learn & Play Thing 6


Its been a busy week and my "real" computer is dead (and just today I found out that the new hard drive is on backorder--drat!) so tending to the blog got nudged down of the list. After a lot of experimenting and poking around I was able to figure out how to map my Flickr photos:


I used the resident mapping function on Flickr since Mappr's tool seems to be defunct. Pretty cool. It'll come in really handy when I'm old & senile to remember some of the places I've been!

The Mt Victory gas station sign is one of my favorites in this bunch because it has a backstory. MV is one of those two traffic light small towns that cover rural Ohio. Typically filled with late 19th and early 20th century buildings, you get a real feel for the fabric of the past since the geographic context is quite intact, even if many of the commercial/industrial buildings no longer serve their original function. The Gulf sign is attached to an early '20s gas station that is fully restored down to the vintage candy bar rack on the glass counter inside the office. The only thing lacking is Ethyl flowing from the pumps. I first spotted the place at night driving south on SR 31. It was lit up brightly in an otherwise sleepy dark town. An oasis for the weary (time?)traveller. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up for an instant. I made a trip back during the day-time to photograph the hell out of the place.

No comments: