Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Amazon Kindle

My department owns an Amazon Kindle which we are in the process of routing around so that everyone here can get a feel for how it works and what it can do. My first impression is that it had a nice balance of portability and readability. The buttons on the front panel are far too small for my liking, but fortunately you don't seem to need to use them much for most functions. The "e-paper" display is nicer than I thought it would be--easy on the eye with decent contrast. Off axis viewing works much better than your typical LCD display. I do loathe the lack of colors other than black and white, and the momentary display color inversion when you change pages really bugs me--to the point of being a deal-breaker if I had to plunk down my own cash for one. I'm very curious to see if the thing has a long enough life to get generational improvements like cell phones & digital cameras. I still intend to buy and read something on it so I'll give a content spiel later.

No comments: