Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Seamy Underside

I've been in contact with a couple of other Cruisette owners and "comparing notes".  The owner of 8059 wondered if a 4-foot gap in the belly-pan of his trailer is supposed to be there, or if that area above the axle should be enclosed.  I didn't have an answer, but was intrigued by the question since I often wondered if the 4-foot gap in MY Cruisette was "correct"  or just a hack-job done by a previous owner.
A sample of 2 does not get anywhere near definitive, but it is interesting.  If any other Cruisette owners stop by please share what's under YOUR trailer!
UPDATE:  I've since had the opportunity to contact the owner of Cruisette 8001 who was able to confirm that it also has this gap in the belly skin.  That brings to 4, the number of Cruisettes--8001, Jason's 8008, 8050 and 8059--that are configured like this.  Its very likely then that this is the "as manufactured" state.

5 comments:

Trailerguy said...

Tim,
Don't forget mine!! :) 8008 has the same lack of belly pan, as does 8016, which I had the pleasure of seeing in person and poking around. So... there may be something to your theory.

Tim said...

Not a chance Jason, not a chance! So now at least 4 of the 75 have the same belly pan treatment. Definitely a trend.
I really envy you west coast guys who have half a chance to see antoher Cruisette in person! I dig the birch on 8008 and can't wait to see more pics. Tim

cruise2 said...

I have 8059 and require some info for the local DMV so I can get a title. What is the GVW??? Where can I get information stating it must be a 1951 or 1952? My title says 1954 and I know that is a mistake.
I have just about finished the interior painting with Zolotone and it looks very good. I don't know how to list pictures yet. Cheers from another Cruisette owner!

Tim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim said...

Hey cruise2, Thanks for stopping by. Congrats on the Zolotone painting, its something I need to learn about.
It may be tough to find an "official" source tying serial numbers to model years, but based on a census (of sorts)compiled from a variety of sources, by another Cruisette owner and myself the model year break between 1951 and 1952 occurred at 8049 or 8050.
My trailer is 8050 is a '52 per its title. There is also a title posted online indicating that 8074href http://vintageairstream.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/1074registration.jpg' is also a 1952 model
As far as Gross Veh. Weight, the closest I can get you is the 1425 1420 pounds quoted in the original brochure for the Cruisette. I hope this is helpful. If I can be of any help feel free to email 'mailto:rifle52light@yahoo.com' me directly. Thanks,
Tim