Thursday, June 17, 2010

Vintage camping memories


I took this with my Kodak Instamatic.  Its hard to comprehend that my Dad's younger--by a lot--in this picture than I am now.  The tow vehicle is our 1970 Chevy Impala sport sedan.  Champagne Gold & Black vinyl.  I balled-up that car in 1985.  I still miss it.  Dig the sweet B&L shades & the Dodge Coronet (Super Bee?) in the background towing the pop-up.
This was taken at Smokemont campground at Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  The curtains are turquoise daisys on a lime-green background, so old now that they're pitch-perfect retro cool.  Too bad they're long gone.

2 comments:

Scott Rothe said...

Tim,
I dont remember exactly whe your family got the big Airsteam, but I am happy to see that the "Crusette" is back in operationa and that the Thompson tradition of family camping is still alive!!

Scott

Tim said...

Thanks for the kind words! The Cruisette was off the road from about '83 to '03. I'm slowly getting the restoration work done.